Columbus Elementary School opened in 1892 and was named for Christopher Columbus. The first school was replaced twice on its original site on the corner of South Cowls and South Baker Streets. The last building at that site, a brick structure, was so severely damaged during the earthquake of March 1993 that it could no longer be safely used as a school. That building was torn down. The current Columbus School was completed and opened in January of 1995.